Applications And Advantages Of Epoxy Flooring
Epoxy floor coatings are one of the most popular floor coatings used on commercial and industrial floors. Epoxy-coated concrete floors provide a smooth, durable, and high-performance surface that is able to withstand heavy loads and last for many years, making them ideal for floors with heavy traffic. It is quite common for industrial sites, warehouses, and commercial buildings to use epoxy floors in order to provide a safe and clean working environment for their employees, equipment, and inventory.
Epoxy Floor Coating Preparation
To adhere properly to a surface, epoxy coatings require a surface that is clean and has a slight porosity to them. If the concrete has been sealed or polished, it may not be able to bond with epoxy. Additionally, it is essential to make sure that the concrete has been completely cured. Prior to the application of epoxy floor coatings, it is essential to repair and patch any major cracks or chips found in the concrete surface.
Check the concrete’s surface for previous layers of epoxy and other products that may have been applied over the years. Pour a small amount of water onto the floor if there is a sealant present. In most cases, it will absorb quickly. In the event that water beads on the surface rather than soaking in, it is likely that the surface has been sealed and may not be suitable for epoxy coating.
Ensure that you follow all the instructions provided by the manufacturer before applying an epoxy coating to the surface. When the epoxy is exposed to temperatures that are not suitable for the cure, it can bubble and peel off. In order to apply epoxy, you must mix two parts of the liquid before applying it. Once the epoxy coating has been mixed, it must be applied within a limited time frame after it has been mixed.
Epoxy Primer Formulas
Depending on the product being applied, an epoxy primer and finisher coat may be required. Primer is applied like paint and allowed to settle for several hours before epoxy is applied. Using a roller pin on a pole, apply the primer thinly to the floor by covering it with water. The primer should be allowed to dry before a second coat is applied. In the same manner as the primer, the finisher is applied without the use of water.
Epoxy Floor Coating Advantages
Compared to other traditional concrete coatings, epoxy floor coatings offer the following benefits:
- Increases the brightness of interior areas with a shiny high-gloss surface
- Provides a durable and hard-wearing surface that can withstand heavy traffic and continuous use
- Installs quickly and easily without requiring any layout, additional adhesives, or special equipment or tools
- Easily cleaned and durable
- Suitable for warehouses and industrial applications
- Water and oil resistant
- Prevents concrete floors from wearing out
- Compatible with self-leveling products, depending on product
- Maintenance is minimal or nonexistent
- Ensures a long-lasting seamless surface
- Combines well with paints and colors to conceal chips and cracks
- Provides a chemically resistant surface that is ideal for manufacturing facilities
- Enhances safety when the surface contains anti-slip additives
- Creates visible driveways and/or identifies walkable areas